Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Review: Fire Study by Maria V. Snyder

Title: Fire Study
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Published: March 1, 2008 by Mira
Pages: 441
Genre: YA Fantasy, Romance
Part of a Series?: Yes

Goodreads Synopsis:

The apprenticeship is over—now the real test has begun.

When word that Yelena is a Soulfinder—able to capture and release souls—spreads like wildfire, people grow uneasy. Already Yelena's unusual abilities and past have set her apart. As the Council debates Yelena's fate, she receives a disturbing message: a plot is rising against her homeland, led by a murderous sorcerer she has defeated before...

Honor sets Yelena on a path that will test the limits of her skills, and the hope of reuniting with her beloved spurs her onward. Her journey is fraught with allies, enemies, lovers and would-be assassins, each of questionable loyalty. Yelena will have but one chance to prove herself—and save the land she holds dear.


Well then. Am I the only one who finds it hard to give actual well thought out reviews to sequels? 

*sigh* I expected so much more from this. As I mentioned in my Magic Study review, there was so much potential to turn this into something great, but to me, it just fell flat. Don't get me wrong. It was a solid ending. Everything wrapped up nicely and I wasn't left feeling like there was anything unresolved, however it could have been so much more.

I am a sucker for cool magic systems and the ending of Magic Study had so much promise. Yelena was coming into her powers and there was a lot of self discovery going on, and while that continued through this book, there wasn't so much a focus on it, which kind of disappointed me. 

There was also an issue of pacing for me in this book and a repetitiveness that I found really annoying. The beginning especially drug on and the author had a tendency to repeat minor details throughout that really broke up the story and distracted away from what was going on. 

My entire experience with this final installment was mediocre at best, and if this reflected the first book in the series, I probably wouldn't have continued on. That being said, since this was the last book, my connection to the characters and emotional investment was pretty prominent, so I can't bring myself to completely dislike it. 

And Valek. I don't know what it is about Valek, but I really enjoy him and his character, so he gets a star all to himself. 
Ehh. I mean, you've come this far, right? You might as well finish up the series. It does have a nice ending (and Valek). 






No comments:

Post a Comment